District Administrator Heiner Scheffold
Role and responsibilities
The district administrator is elected by the district council for a term of eight years. He represents the administrative district externally, assumes the role as chairman of the district council and its committees and heads up the district administration in its function as an administrative authority.
The district administrator is responsible for the proper completion of the tasks at hand and manages the district administration’s internal organisation.
Heiner Scheffold was elected as district administrator for Alb-Donau-Kreis in October 2016.
Heiner Scheffold was born in Alpirsbach, Black Forest, in 1962 and also grew up in this region. He now lives in Ehingen. Heiner Scheffold is married and has three children.
- After completing his A-levels (Abitur) in 1982 and basic military service at the Manching Air Force Base near Ingolstadt and in Sulz am Neckar, he went on to study forestry at the University of Freiburg from 1983 to 1988, which also included a placement in Curitiba, Brazil.
- He spent his internship in Herrenberg and Geislingen/Steige from 1988 to 1989. During his time in Geislingen, he lived in Altheim/Alb for about one year, where he first came into contact with the Alb-Donau-Kreis region.
- After passing the forestry state examination in 1990, he became deputy director of the Tübingen Forest Office and was later promoted to serve as acting director. From there, he changed to the Ministry of Rural Affairs and Consumer Protection in Stuttgart in 1991, where he took over a cross-divisional function as the head of the department for human resources and organisation. From February 1998 to April 1999, he worked at Führungsakademie des Landes in Karlsruhe, a state leadership academy aimed at providing targeted further training for prominent leaders. During this period, he spent several months in the ministry administration in New Zealand.
- He was nominated Head of the Ehingen Forestry Office, asserting himself in a state-wide application process for all department positions. After the administrative structure reform, he worked as head of the Forestry and Nature Conservation Expert Division in the Alb-Donau-Kreis district administration from 2005 until mid-2006.
- In May 2006, he was assigned the management of the Basic Unit of Rural Affairs within the Ministry of Rural Affairs and Consumer Protection. The main focus here were issues concerning infrastructure in rural areas and the management of the cabinet committee for rural affairs, a committee of the state government.
- In July 2009, he became managing director of the commercially managed state agency ForstBW in this ministry and was also nominated deputy department head.
- In February 2013, Heiner Scheffold became head state official and the district administrator’s deputy in Alb-Donau-Kreis.
- On 11 July 2016, the district council elected Heiner Scheffold as district administrator of Alb-Donau-Kreis with 57 of 58 cast votes. He took office on 1 October 2016.